Saturday, May 14, 2011

2011 NHL Playoffs - Conference Finals



















The Conference Finals are upon us, and I was able to get 3 out of the 4 finalists correct. Both of my Stanley Cup teams are alive so I guess I'm sticking with my original picks. We should be in for some good hockey over the next month.

Eastern Conference Finals

3 Boston (-135) vs. 5 Tampa Bay (+115)

How they got here:

Boston beat - Montreal 4-3, Philadelphia 4-0
Tampa Bay beat - Pittsburgh 4-3, Washington 4-0

These two teams reached the Conference Finals in similar fashion. Both won exhilarating 7-game series in the opening round, and followed that with dominating sweeps in the Semis. Tampa Bay has won 7 games in a row to reach this point. Boston was my favorite to reach the Cup out of the East from the beginning. This appears to be an evenly matched series, which means I will go with the team with the best goaltending.

Prediction - Boston over Tampa Bay 4-2

Western Conference Finals

1 Vancouver (-155) vs. 2 San Jose (+135)

How they got here:

Vancouver beat - Chicago 4-3, Nashville 4-2
San Jose beat - Los Angeles 4-2, Detroit 4-3

When all is said and done, these teams have proven that they are without a doubt the two best teams in the West. They have both endured two long series and come out victorious. The Canucks were the oddsmakers favorite when the playoffs began. They have not played their best hockey and have still managed to make it this far. The Sharks will certainly be a tough out, but I think my original picks hold true and Vancouver meets Boston in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Prediction - Vancouver over San Jose 4-2

No comments:

Post a Comment