Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dallas Mavericks - NBA Champions























Congratulations to the Dallas Mavericks on becoming the 2011 NBA Champions! Northeast Ohio thanks you!

I could not have been happier to watch Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry, Jason Kidd, and Mark Cuban take home their first title. As a man that has lived his entire life 35 miles south of Cleveland, I have been at the forefront of the cheers against LeBron James. From that very moment on July 8, 2010 when LBJ announced he was taking his talents to South Beach, many of the Cavaliers faithful had feared the LeBron would win a title in his first year in Miami.

When the Heat took a 15-point 4th quarter lead in Game 2 of the NBA Finals, I felt sick to my stomach. It was inevitable, LeBron and his boys were going to twist the knife into the heart of Dallas and Cleveland fans alike. Then the unthinkable happened. Dirk Nowitzki channeled his inner Larry Bird and lead the Mavs to a dramatic come from behind victory to even the series. After a Miami victory in Game 3, it again felt inevitable that Miami would take home the Larry O'Brien Trophy. But boy did the tide turn in the series' final three games. LeBron disappeared, reminiscent of last year's Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals against Boston. He was non-existent in the 4th Quarter, and didn't as much as put his stamp on any of the games. It was the best possible way for this NBA season to end in the eyes of a Clevelander.

The national media has taken its punches at Cleveland for rejoicing in another city's championship. To them I say, you don't understand. I am 28 years old and have never witnessed a title - in any sport. The Browns came oh so very close during my early childhood, only to have John Elway ruin not one but two of my first years as a sports fan. You may remember "The Drive" or "The Fumble". I vaguely remember those games, but vividly remember the tears I shed afterward. Then there was "The Move" in 1995, and upon returning in 1999, the Browns have stunk ever since.

The Indians were dominant in the 90s, but failed in countless playoff appearances. This included an extra inning loss in Game 7 of the 1997 World Series to the Florida Marlins. This was the closest I have ever been to a championship parade.

The Cavs had some solid teams in the late 80s and early 90s, but never stood a chance against Michael Jordan's Bulls. See "The Shot". But then our luck began to change in 2003. Northeast Ohio's own son, LeBron James became the first overall pick of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Our savior was finally here. We shared some great times with LBJ. Who could forget his 25 consecutive points in the 2007 Eastern Conference Finals? He lead the Cavs to their first and only Finals appearance in franchise history, before being swept by San Antonio. Despite losing the series, LeBron's game-winning 3 at the buzzer in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals against Orlando is one of those moments that I will never forget where I was or how I reacted. All of the good times became an afterthought with "The Decision".

Many including LeBron, felt that Miami would win not 1, not 2, not 5, not 6, not even 7 championships. I was not one of those people. Though I felt that some day the Big Three would earn a ring, I did not feel that this was their year. I picked the Boston Celtics at the beginning of the season. I stuck by this as the playoffs started. But this was a playoff season unlike many others. Often times, it is fairly simple to go 11-4 or 12-3 in picking playoff series. this year I went 9-6. This did not bode well for my desire to see LeBron finish his career without a title.

The stars were aligning for the Heat. They easily got past Philadelphia in the 1st Round. Then came the series everyone wanted. Miami versus Boston. Well Boston was not at full strength. Shaquille O'Neal could not play effectively and then the team's MVP, Rajon Rondo, was less than 100% with a dislocated elbow. Miami disposed of Boston in 5. They were clicking on all cylinders and completely shut down league MVP Derrick Rose and the Chicago Bulls to advance to the NBA Finals.

As a kick in the groin, all of this happened the same week that the Ohio State footbal scandal burt out of control, leading to the resignation of beloved coach Jim Tressel. Things could not be worse for the Ohio sports fan.

But then...

LeBron and the Heat choked in the most pivotal of moments, and watched the Dallas Mavericks take home the title.

Let's give credit where credit is due. The Dallas Mavericks were magnificent throughout the entire playoffs. Dirk Nowitzki cemented his legacy as an all-time great. They proved me and most of the world wrong by defeating Miami. I think this helped me get closer to being over LeBron's departure from Cleveland, even if it wasn't my team. I could not have picked a more deserving team for me to root for.

Once again, Northeast Ohio thanks and congratulates you on winning the 2011 NBA Championship. You deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment